Thursday, September 24, 2009

Week 4 - Blog Posting #7 -Second Life

While I studied Spanish in Spain, we were each assigned an intercambio, or exchange, student friend from Spain. Part of our immersion experience took place in the classroom setting, of course, but most application took place within those personal relationships. I learned Spanish from my Spanish friend, and he learned English from me. Learning was enhanced through living, breathing, real-world experiences with other people.

Teaching languages works best when combined with social interaction. As an educator of English language learners, I know that foundational best practices for acquiring new language skills include discussion, conversations, and familiarity with social situations. Interaction is part of the learning process. Also included are culture, historical connections, and gestures that vary from culture to culture.

Second life is a free online virtual international community that offers a place where travel is a click away, interaction with people from around the world is possible, and where educational experiences include not only language learning, but every content area imaginable. My first time in Second Life I heard at least three different languages being spoken. My second time there, I met a group of people on Avatar Island that helped me navigate this new world, find my new avatar personality, and play a little.

My first month in Full Sail University's master's in Education Media Design and Technology threw me into a project that required me to explore historical places in Second Life. Four of us searched and teleported across many virtual oceans to places like Caledonia by the Sea, Sparta in Greece, and the Great Wall of China. On my own, I found a Shinto Temple, a Geisha Training Center, and simply fun places like fairy lands and free clothes shopping. One group I joined at the time was Chinoesfera, a group that studies about Asia.

Second Life is a lot of fun and has greater learning possibilities when interaction is involved, at least for me. When I have just gone on to explore without an agenda or a friend to meet, it was actually kind of lonely. Wandering randomly to explore is enjoyable, yet starts to lose some appeal when many places are quite empty. It can be like going to a great museum with no one there to share the experience.

I believe that the more effective use of Second Life is with learning communities. Specifying purposes makes the experiences more meaningful, especially as an educational tool. A lecture in Second Life about volcanic activity next to a virtual volcano would be much more effective than a basic classroom chat. The Deputy Chief Technology Officer at the White House, Beth Noveck, utilized Second Life in July of this year. Her discussion was open to both a live and a virtual audience at Second Life's MacArthur Island conference amphitheater (Second Life Blogs, July 21, 2009).

Many types of groups are available on Second Life. Although I am far from an expert at this point, here are a few suggestions for educators:


Finally, this video makes educational uses of Second Life very clear:

No comments:

Post a Comment